New York Adoption Lawyer
If you’re thinking of adopting, then you’ve come to the right place. The adoption process while a beautiful one, can also be lengthy and detailed. Without the help of an adoption lawyer, the process can be strenuous.
The Adoption Process in New York City
The process of adoption in New York City begins with choosing an adoption agency. After this you will be required to fill out an application and submit it. A home study process is next followed by training which is usually sponsored by the agency. Next you will work with a caseworker who will assist in the selection process and help you find a perfect match. After all this, you can now visit the child. You may choose to apply for an adoption subsidy and after this you can finally go home with your child.
The process does not end here however, your still have 3 months of supervision and a court process before the adoption is finalized. The process from submitting an application to completing the adoption in court could take anywhere from 18 months to two years.
Where in the process Does the Adoption Lawyer Come In?
If you choose to go the private adoption route, you will need a lawyer throughout the entire process. A private adoption is one where the adopting parents work mainly with an adoption lawyer and choose to bypass the agency method.
In private adoptions, the birth parents renounce any rights to parent.
Private adoption has the following benefits:
• It is flexible. You do not have to be put on a waiting list as expectant mothers will have a look at your profile as soon as it is ready.
• The adoption process has fewer requirements than if you choose an adoption agency. Adoption has basic requirements mandated by the law. Adoption agencies may give their own additional requirements. If you work with an attorney through private adoption, you do not have to meet the additional requirements that are set out by agencies.
• In private adoption, an attorney helps to enlighten you on adoption profiles, advertising and personal networking.
• Working directly with an attorney is safer. The legal aspect of adoption is well-taken care of so you are more secure about the adoption process.
Why You Need a Lawyer Even if You Are Going Through an Agency
Sometimes adopting parents choose to go with an adoption agency, instead of working directly with an attorney. In this case, an attorney is still required.
An attorney helps with the following:
• They can help you find an appropriate adoption agency. Sometimes you might have no clue as to what the adoption process entails and which agency to choose. An adoption lawyer can assist you by helping you find an agency that caters to your needs. They also educate you on the adoption process.
• Adoption lawyers help you in submitting an application for adoption. This is the first step in the adoption process. An adoption lawyer will take care of the paperwork so you don’t have to. They can also follow up to see the progress of the application. An adoption application can take up to 6 months before being approved.
Lastly, an adoption lawyer will represent you in court if necessary. The last stage in adoption requires finalization in court. A lawyer can handle the court process for you to avoid any hiccups that might occur along the way.