call for a free consultation 212-300-5196


New York Emancipation of Minors Lawyer

The Spodek Law Group is one of the top rated federal law firms. We understand when you're facing legal issues, you need a law firm you can count on.

Todd Spodek - Mentioned in The Media

watch more videos

New York Emancipation of Minors Lawyer

From time to time, certain legal situations need specialized attention from law firms. The emancipation of minors is a very important issue in which the New York-based Spodek Law Group has extensive experience. Our highly-professional lawyers can help families navigate through this very delicate issue with compassion and care.

The emancipation of a minor, simply put, is allowing children who are minors and have not reached the legal age of 18 to live as adults. Parents, in this situation are no longer considered the caretaker. The minor has the legal standing to take care of his or herself.

In most cases, parents are the legal caretakers of children until they reach the age of adulthood, which is 18, in most states. They provide food, shelter and make some decisions for the minor. Everything changes when the child is legally emancipated. Once it is formally legalized, the parents have no further say regarding the child’s lifestyle or other issues.

The minor now has full rights like any other adult and are in full control of employment, money, healthcare, shelter and a long list of other things. There are several ways in which a minor can be emancipated: marriage, court approval or the military.

There are a number of reasons why a minor may want to be emancipated. In the case of divorce when the family has a great deal of resources, the minor can file for emancipation. At the very least, they will have their own money to take care of themselves. Unfortunately, there are other situations when emancipation is needed, such as a when a parent is unable to provide support for the child. There are cases where the parent may be suffering from some type of mental disorder that prevents them to provide proper care for their child. The parent could also be suffering from an alcohol or drug dependency that prohibits them for providing proper care. In many cases, the minor may also be suffering from some type of abuse.

Although emancipation works well in some cases, there are other alternatives such as counseling, moving in with other adults or family members or get help from governmental organizations. The choices are very difficult. But the good news is that our highly-experienced law firm can give you all the information you need.

The Spodek Law Group is one of the top in the state. We are experienced, caring and will help you through making the tough decisions. Our seasoned team of professionals can give you the tools to find a brighter future. Divorce is very hard. If your child believes that emancipation is the best option for them, we can help the family through the entire process.

If you are ready to find out more about the emancipation process, reach out to our firm. We have a wealth of experience and professionals located at our offices in Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan. All of our consultations are free. If you need help, don’t delay. Give us a call at 888-247-9981.

New York Emancipation of Minors Lawyer

Request Free Consultation

Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.

Call Now!