call for a free consultation 212-300-5196



Are there any services to get divorced for free?

Divorce costs an average of $300, and that’s not including the hourly rate of an attorney, so what do you do if you can’t afford the fee? You might think to represent yourself, but even that can cost. How do you file for divorce when you have no money? Fortunately, some situations do let you file for divorce without several hundred dollars in court fees when you have financial issues.

The Indigent Divorce Fee Waiver

The state allows for divorce filings even when you have no money. This waiver procedure lets you file a divorce, but you request that the court waives the fees involved with the process. The procedure was implemented as a way of helping those on limited finances to bring a conclusion to failing marriages.

How to Get the Forms

Before you can waive the fees, you first need the forms. Check online or visit your local divorce court to obtain them. The internet holds forms that you can download and print off. You need the form to file for a divorce, and you will have to file for the fee waiver. Also, ask if you can get the instruction booklet to guide you through the process of filling out the form. You should also check to ensure you meet the state residency requirements because you can’t file unless you have met the stipulations. The documentation includes:

  • A statement from an attorney to support the claim.
  • An affidavit about your income must be provided.
  • The income level must meet thethe New York Legal Services Corporation Guidelines.
  • The court must state the basis for denying or granting the request.

When you file for a waiver, you will have to fill out all the information to have your request granted. The information needed will include:

  • Children from the marriage
  • Assets
  • Date of the marriage
  • Debts
  • Reason for divorce

If asking for alimony, child support or a division of marital assets, you should indicate this in the form. Remember, you will have to provide financial proof for the court fees to be waived. You have to prove to the court that you are poor. The proof of income includes all sources of income from child support to social security to payroll to disability. The court might also request that you bring your tax returns, but the forms will tell you exactly what’s needed. Luckily, most of the information needed will be documentation for the proceedings of the divorce. For example, you have to provide full financial disclosure to the court, so it is not necessarily another step.

Once You Complete the Form

After you finish the paperwork, you will have to file. You will need the documents notarized, and you can do this from the bank. However, you can also request that the clerk notarize your forms when you file them.

Once you file, a court employee or the judge will review your paperwork and a hearing might be necessary where the judge asks you questions. In some cases, if the waiver isn’t granted, they may ask you to pay it later. If you want to learn more about the process, can help. Call us today!

Request Free Consultation

Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.

Call Now!